Saturday, April 2, 2011

Twitter Trials

I really am trying.  I've had a Twitter account for over a year and have taken stabs from time to time at figuring out its appeal, with little success.  I get that it's a fast-response tool that keeps groups of people tightly connected, that it allows professionals to pass on relevant information throughout a network, and that it's entertaining to a surprisingly vast number of people, but this is one bandwagon I can't find secure footing on. Yet. And I feel the same way about Facebook, which makes me a virtual Luddite in America.  (Well, actually I'm more of a lurker, since I do check in look around occasionally. Sounds creepy, doesn't it?) I do use the news feeds, but RSS works better.  Many of the tweets are for links, and  if I used a desktop instead of my mobile it would be easier to follow up on them; as it is, downloading to a cellphone is hardly ever worth the time and magnification needed.

If you haven't read Lara's SI 643 Blog yet, don't miss it, since she does an excellent job summing up the reasons Twitter is not the universal love child of this generation; in fact, I was surprised at how many fellow students were not Twitterpated, as Kim and her Bambi friends call it. Right now, three new twits have come up about taking a nap, having brunch, and "contemplating what to do tonight, Hmm " all by people I don't know.  Adding to the clutter, people I chose to follow for this class are sending streams of personal twits to other people I don't know, and frankly I feel left out of the conversation.  Maybe I'm just not managing it efficiently.  I'll try a couple of organizational tools before giving up-- I've been told Tweet Deck and Hoot Suite will help sort out the chaos.  In the meantime, I'll be interested in a class discussion on this experience.

4 comments:

  1. Unfollow folks if their feed doesn't match what you need! The "in-jokes" are annoying. I just stopped following a pair of folks because I was literally uncomfortable with their weird Twitterific near-fauxmance. The sense that I was intruding on a private conversation converted awkwardly into the public made me feel too much like a Peeping Tom.

    Also, perhaps this graphic is in order for you and Lara?
    http://stephenslighthouse.com/2011/04/02/social-media-venn-diagram

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Kristin's right-- it's all about who you follow. One of the nice thing about not knowing most of the people I follow personally is that there is little guilt in unfollowing them.

    But if Twitter doesn't work for you, don't do it (after this assignment, of course!). It's silly to waste your time on something that is more of an annoyance than a resource. (And, for the record, I disliked Twitter until I started using HootSuite-- not that it necessarily deserves the credit for changing my mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share a lot of your frustrations with Twitter. I feel like if I explored some of the organizing tools and functions I would like it more...it's definitely a management issue for me. It seems like there is a lot of potential, but all the clutter and the sheer volume of posting is overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about feeling a little left out of some of the personal exchanges on Twitter. I feel a little bit like the whole Twitter thing is a big party, and I'm standing just outside, not sure whether I want to go in or go home, put on my pajamas, and play with my cats.

    ReplyDelete